This recipe is adapted from ButcherBox’s One Pot Chicken Recipe. I kept most of the ingredients the same. I changed the quantity and type of a few items. Mainly what I changed is the instructions of how to prepare it. The way they have it is a nice one pot recipe. I am all for using less pots, believe me. However, for this recipe I feel it keeps much better as leftovers the next day if you keep the rice mixture separate from the chicken & veggie mixture. Also, I don’t like to cook meat in my dutch oven. I prefer to cook meat in my pure cast iron because it’s easier to clean.
This recipe is very delicious though! If you want a different take on chicken & rice, this one is not boring. I love the flavors with saffron, green olives, and veggies. Let me know if you like it too!
- 15 pieces Chicken Tenders (about 2 1/4 l b)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red pepper medium dice
- 1 green pepper medium dice
- 1 small onion dice
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1 32 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 16 ounce can green olives halved (optional)
- cilantro chopped for topping (optional)
- Preheat large pan on medium heat with olive oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper & place in pan. Turn heat to medium-low and sauté chicken for about 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Put veggies, garlic, paprika, and salt & pepper to taste in the dutch oven and sauté on medium-low.
- Add chicken and green olives to the dutch oven pot and set aside.
- Cook rice in separate pot according to instructions. Use chicken broth instead of water. Add a pinch of saffron threads to the rice while cooking.
- When rice is done add crushed tomatoes to rice and stir to combine.
- (NOTE: I like to keep the rice mixture separate from the chicken & veggie mixture because I think it keeps better that way to reheat for leftovers.)
- Serve rice with chicken & veggie mixture on top. Add cilantro as topping (optional). Enjoy!