I have a list of soups we eat regularly and rotate through and this is one of our favorites that we never get tired of. You can easily customize it to make it more to your liking. I have friends that make it with sweet potato instead of white beans. I have seen recipes online that make it with ground beef instead of Italian sausage. Everyone likes their pizza (and their pizza soup!) different 🙂 Here is my way…
- 1 lb spicy Italian pork sausage
- 1 lb mild Italian pork sausage
- 1 29 ounce can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 32 ounce chicken broth cartons (use 1 box to start with and see how soupy you want it. I usually use 1 1/2 cartons)
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large carrots (or 3 smaller carrots) peeled and sliced finely
- 1 16 ounce can of Great Northern Beans
- 1 small cans of sliced black olives
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- gluten free pasta (optional)
- shredded manchego or shaved parmesan for topping (optional)
- Cook the spicy and mild Italian sausage on the stovetop until done and set aside.
- Cook the package of gluten free pasta according to directions if using, strain, and set aside.
- Cook the onion, carrots, basil, and oregano in a large pot or dutch oven with the oil and sauté’ for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic during the last minute.
- Add the broth and crushed tomatoes and keep at a low simmer for another 10-15 minutes until carrots are soft.
- Add the olives, beans, and spinach stirring until all is warm.
- Serve in bowls topped with shredded cheese if using and enjoy!