I have been trying various home made granola recipes for awhile now. I used to do mostly nuts and seeds with no oats. However, that made for a pretty chunky granola even when sliced small. After I learned how gluten free oats can actually be helpful to your gut according to recent research presented by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne at a health conference I attended earlier this year. (Yes I know it’s a grain! *gasp*). I don’t eat oats very often. Once in awhile I will make a power ball or have oatmeal. However, I got really excited because I really do like oats in my granola.
I don’t eat this granola for breakfast by itself because it doesn’t have enough protein. I will usually have eggs and/or sausage and then around mid morning I will sometimes have this granola with a dairy free yogurt and some berries. It’s a really delicious and sweet little snack.
I adapted this recipe from a friend that has made one similar with mostly oats and hemp seeds. I added in some more nuts and chia seeds. Since I do ok with butter I added that in for a delicious flavor along with the coconut oil. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 5 cups Gluten Free rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons Chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons Hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla
- 1 shredded apple
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter (sub w/ coconut oil if you can’t do dairy)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped tiny
- Mix all ingredients (except apricots and 1 cup shredded coconut)
- Spread evenly in a high sided pan or casserole type baking dish
- Bake at 300 for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook evenly.
- Add apricots and remaining coconut after removing from the oven.
- Store in a glass container with a lid.